Put simply HiiT is high-intensity interval training, comprised of short, hard bouts of cardio exercise broken up by brief recovery periods.
It’s fun and effective!
Those looking to increase their heart rate, improve their cardiovascular fitness and leave class feeling ridiculously good, especially if your time is limited.
- HiiT jacks up production of your body’s growth hormones that help you maintain muscle and burn fat for hours after you’re done, and it lowers insulin resistance for better blood sugar control.
- It’s a quick workout that is super effective so perfect for people with a busy schedule.
- HiiT produces a significant amount of metabolic waste, including hydrogen ions and lactic acid. The major reason for an active recovery interval is to remove these waste products to allow the involved muscles to perform the next high-intensity bout. As a result, HiiT workouts train your body to tolerate and quickly recover from periods of high-intensity exercise.
- HiiT can promote a number of physiological benefits, such as
- Increased mitochondrial density, the mitochondria can more efficiently convert energy into ATP, meaning more energy is available to work the muscles. In other words, a greater mitochondrial density will allow you to train or compete faster and longer.
- Improved stroke volume, an increase in stroke volume results from training and allows the same amount of blood to be transported around the body with fewer heart contractions.
- Improved oxidative capacity of muscle and enhanced aerobic efficiency. This is a measure of a muscle’s maximal capacity to use oxygen in micro-litres of oxygen consumed per gram of muscle per hour. The higher the oxidative capacity the healthier the muscle is.